Tuesday, February 1, 2011

men are from venus, women are from mars

we sing a different tune.

To illustrate my example:

I came back to office today and there was a bouquet of flowers on my table (Eeks, i am definitely not a flower person. if i could recall, the last time i received flowers was when i was 15 and i remembered clearly that i threw it into the bin)

And so, i was freaked out over the sight of flowers, not one but twelve!

I found out who sent it and this was what i said:

"Hey XX, thanks for the flowers! However, i think you should give it to someone who will appreciate it more"- i thought this message was clear enough that i am not even the tinest bit interested in XX

What this was what XX replied:

"Nah just a token from me and also an appreciation for the saturday date"- I nearly fainted, because i thought i was being very direct in my answer. SHIT! Now how, brown cow! I totally have no idea what XX is thinking.

Maybe it the fault lies with me for agreeing to meet him for coffee/lunch this Saturday. Honestly, I never saw it as a date. I just saw it as going out and meet new people, getting to know more friends. I don't blame XX because if we were to turn it the other way, I would similarly have thought that the girl might be interested.

How does one deal with a situation like this? How do you tell someone that "hey i am just meeting you purely because i just want to be friends, and not because i think you might be a potential partner?" I know i am at fault too, i do sound like i am "stringing him along", but the last thing i want is this!

No idea on how to resolve this without the akwardness and strangeness. But you will be glad to know that i did not throw the flowers away this time. (Because my friends commented that i was super duper evil the last time) I am also learnt to not be so harsh. Who knows when will be the next time i will be receiving flowers eh?